Have you witnessed the overnight explosion of Happy Hair? One intrepid blogger has explored the world of extreme natural hair care and it’s one of the most talked about beauty trends online.
The so called ‘no poo’ revolution is a passion for mother and blogger Lucy Aitken Read, who has ditched shampoo for over two years and written a book titled ‘Happy Hair’, documenting her journey.
After researching how many artificial chemicals are found in a typical high street shampoo, Aitken Read decided enough was enough and embarked on her cold turkey mission in search of happy hair.
“When I became a mother I felt I should start looking more at what I was putting on and in my own and my children’s bodies”. After looking at the synthetic chemicals listed in her shampoo bottle, Lucy decided she needed a change.
Ingredients to avoid
1) Sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate: this harsh, synthetic foaming agent is a known irritant and can cause red rashes, itchiness and dryness on the head and neck. It is extremely good at lifting away dirt, too good in fact and is used in laundry detergents, washing up liquid and even engine degreaser.
2) Parabens: used as cheap preservatives in many synthetic shampoos, conditioners and other cosmetic products, some parabens have been shown to have weak estrogenic activity when examined in test tube studies. People who are keen to avoid hormone build up in the body often switch to paraben-free products; recently there has also been lots of negative press surrounding the use of parabens in personal care products.
3) Synthetic fragrances: perfumes and synthetic fragrances are the biggest causes of skin irritation and allergy to personal care products. When labeling skin care and cosmetics, it is not required to list every ingredient used to fragrance a product, as long as you include the umbrella term ‘parfum’, ‘aroma’ or ‘fragrance’. At Green People we list every ingredient in our products including fragrances, however in synthetic cosmetic products, many brands choose to leave out the names of the cocktail of fragrance giving chemicals so you can never be sure what’s really in your product.
Get happy hair with organic shampoo
Whilst throwing out your synthetic shampoos, conditioners and styling products is definitely beneficial for a naturally balanced scalp and happy hair, you don’t need to go cold turkey to reap the rewards of chemical-free hair care.
Green People’s organic shampoos and conditioners are packed with natural and organic ingredients that won’t upset the skin and hair. We use gentle, natural cleansing agents made from coconut that lift dirt and grease away from the scalp without stripping its natural oils or upsetting the skin’s delicate balance. As well as leaving hair clean and fresh, our blend of organic essential oils leaves hair smelling wonderfully fragrant and won’t irritate the skin.
Don’t know which one to choose? Don’t worry, there’s a Green People organic shampoo and matching conditioner to suit every hair type and because they’re super concentrated, a little goes a very long way! Here’s our guide on which shampoo suits you.
The one for everyone
The greasy hair
• For those of you with frizzy, curly or very thick hair, our Moisturising Shampoo and Conditioner will tame your unruly locks. Specially formulated to deal with even the most stubborn hair types, our Moisturising duo will transform your bird's nest, making it soft, shiny and beautifully obedient.
Dry or damaged hair
• Lots of factors can cause damage to our hair, including coloring, styling and heat. If your hair has suffered at the hands of your hair dye, heated tongs, or it’s just looking a bit frazzled, use our Intensive Repair Shampoo and Conditioner. These fab rescue remedies mend damaged cuticles and leave hair naturally shiny and smooth.
The lifeless hair
• If you’re a hair product junkie, you may be left with a lot of build up on your scalp making hair dull and flat. Leave your hair squeaky clean and build-up free with our Clarifying Vitamin Shampoo and Conditioner. Formulated with a pineapple enzyme called Bromelain, this dynamic duo gently cleanses away build-up to give hair extra bounce.
The sensitive hair
• All our formulas are extremely gentle, but for the most sensitive skin use our Neutral/Scent Free Shampoo and Conditioner. Formulated without essential oils, this soothing pair will allow those prone to very sensitive skin the freedom to give your hair a treat without irritation.
The unfussy hair
• If your hair just needs a good thorough clean, use our Daily Aloe Shampoo and Conditioner. For hair that doesn’t need much taming, this everyday duo packs a moisture punch and will leave the whole family’s hair soft, silky and revitalized.
For the kids
• Don’t fret, we didn’t forget the kids! Our Organic Children and Organic Babies hair care products are specially formulated to be gentle on young skin. Our Organic Children products come in deliciously fruity Berry Smoothie, Citrus Crush or calming Lavender and our Organic Babies bath time treats are also available in Lavender as well as Scent Free. These organic favorites will make bath time fun, fruity and full of natural skin goodness.